Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 | posted by wendy
• 2 lbs. fresh squid (cleaned with the skin and tentacles left on)
• 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• 8 cloves garlic (peeled and sliced
• Leaves from a branch of thyme
• 1 t crushed red pepper flakes
• 1 t. fine sea salt
Combine squid, oil, garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt in a medium bowl and marinate for 30 minutes.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer squid and marinade to hot skillet and immediately place the clean bottom of a medium cast-iron skillet directly on top of squid to flatten it as it cooks. Be sure the pans don’t trap steam or the squid won’t be crisp. Cook, turning squid once, until browned and crispy and juices have caramelized, about 8 minutes per side.
Transfer calamari and juices to a large platter and serve garnised with parsley springs and wedges of lemon if you like.