Thursday, July 7th, 2011 | posted by mike
- 1 lb. Sashimi grade tuna cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup Maui onions (or sweet onion like vidallia) chopped
- 3 scallions finely sliced- use part of green part
- 1/4 cup soy sauce- use Japanese it’s lighter salt than U.S. Soy sauce
- 2 t oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 t brown sugar
- 1 t sriracha chili sauce (or to taste)
- Pinch of Hawaiian sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 T toasted macadamia nuts finely chopped (toasted, see below)
- 2 t toasted sesame seeds
- 1 t sesame oil
- A not traditional but nice addition if you’d like is to add about 2 T Wakame salad—coarse chop – available at Monahan’s
Roast Macadamia nuts at 300 degrees for 5 to 8 min. Until golden brown.
Mix all ingredients in a bowl, gently stir in tuna and refrigerate for about 1/2 hour. Serve as is or on romaine leaves or in lettuce cups.
Alice Fukushima says the new craze at their store is Ahi Poke on top of sticky rice on a Nori sheet.